Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mistaken For Good Review



Mistaken for Good

Once you have a reputation it's hard to reset it. Jay is no exception. He's got a reputation for being rough, and picking on others. So far Jay has pretty much shown more bad than good, but unlike Rodney Jay expresses feelings like guilt and compassion. Vance is the type that seeks out ways to hurt others and scam money. Vance scares Jay, and Vance knows that he can get Jay to do things. This episode pushes Jay to a new level. I really enjoyed this episode, it shows Jay doing the right thing even when it meant putting himself under the bus. It's funny how Mrs. Kramer is appearing all over Odyssey, but it's kind of cool. It shows that she likes getting involved with the town, and you never really know when she could turn up next. Jay getting the music box for Mrs. Wilson, was so nice and the fact that he wasn't wanting anything in return makes it even more unlike the Jay we're used to.
But after Jay gives her the gift, he also asks for money. He knows the only way to end Vance's scheme would be to throw them both under the bus. I especially like the closing when Jay says that he'd like Whit to deliver a card to Mrs. Wilson.

Odyssey Connection: 
This theme is very similar to The Labyrinth. Except this one is a slice of life episode. It's so easy to listen to the little devil inside our heads and ignore the angel, but at the same time, the "little angel" is the better choice. Sometimes "doing what's right" can simply mean avoiding what's wrong, while other times it could mean seeing an opportunity to help someone and acting on that opportunity.This summer I volunteered at a kid's church camp. A couple of the days we went to the lake. Now this campground was really nice, the lake had a blob, a zipline, an iceberg, and a water trampoline. Right next to the lake it has a huge water slide. The water slide is so intense that you have to wear a padded helmet to protect your head. Well I was with one of my campers, and when we got to the top of the slide, we waited in line. A couple moments later another camper whom I had not met yet, came and waited behind me. He asked me for help with his helmet, and after looking at it I realized it was busted. I gave him mine, and went back to the bottom to retrieve a new one. While Jay's story is a little different, both have a similar idea; It's best to do what is right.

Theme: Doing what's right 5/5
Humor: 3.5/5
  Quotes: 4/5 --
Standout Quote(s):

Jay Smouse: Make way, make way, Atlas is entering the building.
John Whittaker: Jay! Here, let me help you with that.
Jay Smouse: No, don't do it, it's carefully stacked. I'm a human Jenga puzzle.

Vance King: I thought that was you! ye- what did you do to your eye?
Jay Smouse: Uh, freak spit ball accident?
Vance King: Huh.
 
Interest level: 4.5/5
"Like" rating: 5/5
Average Rating: 4.5/5

Have similar thoughts as me? Am I as far off as the no-longer-a-planet Pluto? Tell me what you think.
This has been Freddy Jay, with CC Connection, connecting the gap between Odyssey and YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment